Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Cheerleaders

At one point in my life, I wanted to be a cheerleader.

cheerleader clip art



It was of short duration, especially when I got to know several of the cheerleaders in the group. It was a quick-fix situation, to say the least! I'm not saying all cheerleaders are bad, because, frankly, they're not. In fact, there are some that are pretty fantastic people to be around.

But they're not what you're thinking. Some are chubby. Some aren't. Some are cute. Some, well, not so much. But they're cheerleaders just the same. And you can hear them all over the place if you listen very closely.

They're at little league games.
Soccer games.
Softball games.

Their uniforms consist of different types of materials and colors. Green polyester. Black cotton. Red baseball hats. Heather gray gauchos.

Yep. You guessed it. I'm talking about wives and mothers. Those that have married and have born children. Those who navigate life's everyday hassles with a smile. Well, almost everyday! ;) Today, I want to focus on being a cheerleading wife.

Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. - Proverbs 31:28

There are days when things aren't going so well. When you really don't feel like being the cheerleader God created you to be. You've made your husband's lunch for the past 18 years, and you begin to wonder if he even notices your faithfulness. When he walks through the front door and drops his lunchbox on the floor, kicks off his shoes and leaves them laying where they land, and you swallow the remark that almost dropped off your tongue. Because he's worked all day...(not saying you haven't, just sayin'...)

Dear Lord, does he even know I exist anymore?

I've recently been through one of those ruts. It seemed as though everything I did, do, or had done went unnoticed.

Except for when I left the wrapper on the cheese when I made his bologna sandwich the other day. That one, he did notice. And it was fun when he got home! ;) Oh. I forgot that he did notice when I put a little something extra silky in his lunchbox. That was a good one too. (Praise God he has a great sense of humor.)

Anyway, I digress. There are days when you just wonder if God really meant it when he said that her husband will call her blessed, because, let's face it. Those little compliments that mean so much may be few and far between! But when they do make their appearance, they're well worth waiting for. Trust me on this one.

The other day, after our customary meeting at the door that entails hugs and kisses, (I live for those moments, I really do), I asked about his day. (I live for those moments, too.) With a smile on his face, he reached for me and pulled me into another romantic embrace. Brushing his lips against mine in a most delightful manner, he proceeded to tell me about something someone had said at work. It ended with, "you should go home and kiss your wife because she makes your home-life so good." and my husband's answer? "I know it. I'm a lucky man."

*sigh!*

Actually, I'm the lucky one.
I may not be a world-renown author, and I'm good with that.
My children may not be the brightest stars in the sky, and I'm okay with that too. (working on it though.)
And, as much as I love playing the piano, I'll never. EVER. be a concert pianist. I'm good there too.

One place I want to shine? Being my husband's cheerleader. And my children's, but that's a post for another time. You know what that little, itty bitty compliment did for me? It made me want to try even harder to be an even better wife.

So, if there are any men reading this, remember that. Pay your wife a compliment ~ you might be surprised at what happens.
Ladies, the same goes for you. Praise your mate. Tell him how wonderful he is (and mean it) and wait and watch what occurs. This has worked well for me in our 18 years together, and as the old adage says,

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey hey, what would you like to say?

 
The Honest Reviewer Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template