Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Praising God for Pig-Poo

Have you ever heard someone say "Why me?" or, "Why am I having to deal with this or go through this?" To be honest, I don't know why, nor can I tell you I understand. Quite frankly, I can't understand unless it's a particular situation I've already gone through. I can only say, I'll pray for you, or I'm sorry you're having a rough time. Neither of these answers, while they are heartfelt, help take the pain or dislike away.

In Luke 15:11-32, we read the parable of the Prodigal Son. I know most people know the story, but let's recap, shall we?

pig in mud


A man had two sons. The younger asked for his inheritance. Although this meant that when his father died he wouldn't get anything, he decided he wanted it now. Instead of waiting. (Still relevant today, isn't it?) Like most young people, this young man probably thought nothing could bother him and all would be well in the end. He could do what he liked, no one could tell him he was wrong as he was a man now. (Sound familiar?) And he ended up squandering all his inheritance in riotous living. Did riotous throw you? He wasted it. ALL.

Luke 15:14-15 - And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want. And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine.

Swine (pigs) were filthy and forbidden to Jews. So this shows just how desperate this young man was. But wait. It gets worse...

Luke 15:16 - And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat: and NO MAN GAVE UNTO HIM. (<~ evidently, there was no welfare! But that brings up another whole thought. I'll save it for later) ;)

This young man, who started out thinking he knew everything, that he was on top of the world, ended up being so destitute and downtrodden that he was considering eating pig food. This man had hit rock bottom. 


And here is my favorite part: verses 17-19 -
And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to called thy son: make me as one of thy hired servants.

He was READY to become a SERVANT in his father's house. He felt worthless. He was dirty. He had nothing left. He had finally learned humility!

Sometimes, when things are so very hurtful, the pain is deep, the wound is fresh, that's when we finally learn to lean on Jesus. That's when we learn that He's there, just waiting for US to come home. And I'd be willing to bet by the rest of the parable, that father was so very thankful his precious son had to deal with Pig Poo.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey hey, what would you like to say?

 
The Honest Reviewer Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template