Thursday, September 19, 2013

I'm Just a Child!


We were in the middle of our Algebra lesson. Yes, Algebra. Not Pre-Algebra, but Algebra and things weren't working out very well for us.

My son and I were having a...muddy day.

There are certain days that we can surf right through our Algebra lesson without a hitch. He learns it, I'm refreshed, we get along, and all goes well.

This is *not* always the case.
There are some days when our lesson seems to be as clear as the proverbial mud, or, as clear as the blackest of black coffees.

This was one of those days.

It wasn't going well. My daughter had just hit the halfway mark of her entire seatwork, and my son and I hadn't even finished the lesson part. Sheesh! Could it get any worse?!

My son has attention problems. I'm not saying he's A.D.D. because we haven't had him tested, but I am saying...ooh look! A red headed woodpecker just landed in the tree! Is that sirens I hear? I think I left the dog out. Do you hear that backhoe that's a mile down the road? They're working on the ditch again.. all within the space of five minutes. I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure of some things, and I've considered calling the Government and requesting a no-fly zone be declared over our house.

Things would just be better that way.

Anyway. I digress.
We were having a muddy day, and it seems that those muddy days are some of the funniest and most endearing days. Oxymoron-ic sounding, right?

Well, I was about to bash my head against the white-board before going over the problem set for the sixth time, when he looked up at me, his big, adorable brown eyes wide, and he says...

"Mom. I'm just a child in these things. A child."

With all the seriousness of a preacher at a funeral.
BooksByAmandaPicture121012

And I had to laugh.

Because, if you remember, a long while ago, I talked about how the Bible says "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine." and I take that seriously. (Praise God for HuMoR)

But while I giggled like a hyena and we did finally get the point of the lesson (I take back all those times I said I was never going to use this...) he did bring me to another thought.

How we should be like children in certain areas.
Like anger. And malice.

You remember the days when you and your best friend were on the outs and you swore you were never going to speak to her again? Then, after only ten minutes, you couldn't stand it anymore and you were the best of friends again? That's what I'm talking about.

Quick to forgive.
Quick to make up and get over it.
Quick to bury the hatchet and knock the chip off your shoulder because life is just better with your friend.

"Suffer the little children to come unto me." See, there's something special about a child. They believe. They forgive. They love.

Isn't it time we were a bit more childish about some of the important things? Like forgiveness and malice?
Yep. That's going to be my New Year's Resolution. But I'm not going to wait to begin.
I'm starting right now. How about you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey hey, what would you like to say?

 
The Honest Reviewer Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template