Sunday, July 13, 2014

Suicide. A Terrible Teacher

My heart is breaking right now. Literally breaking. Drove home that way. Today, a young man from our town killed himself. A young man whose whole life stretched out before him. A man whom my daughter had met and interacted with at work and talked about at home. Yes. He'd made an impression on her and she'd shared her thoughts with me. To her, he made her smile and think about how she treated other people. And I was proud of her for being kind when others were probably not so kind.

See, he was different. And people probably treated him that way. But praise God, she didn't. We try to teach our children to be kind, because you never know what someone else is going through. You don't know the pain they could be hiding behind that smile. You don't know if this is the very last day that person will spend here on earth.

All I could think about driving home was that this man just met his eternity. Was he ready? And it's too late to do anything about it now. It's too late to tell him that Jesus loves him so much that he made a way for him to go to Heaven. It's too late to be kind to him. He took that chance away from everyone.

Why do people do things like this? What goes on in their brains? Have they really sunk so low that they think everyone else will be better without them? Sheesh, I didn't even know this guy, but I know how my daughter talked about him. How he made her feel. How she reacted when she got the news he was gone.

I don't think there's one human being on this earth that doesn't have regrets. Have something in their life, whether past or present, that they wish they could change. I know I can't fix what happened today. I can't give that young man his life back. The only thing I can do is try to do better from here on out to be kinder to others. To show people that someone cares enough to be nice. To be a better witness. To tell others they're loved and about Who loves them.

I just wish that lesson I learned hadn't come at such at awful price. What a terrible tragedy. What a heartbreaking situation.

Parents, are you telling your kids that you love them? One day, they'll be gone and you can't get these days back. Never. One second never returns. Don't make anymore regrets. Why can people not see their kids are precious and parents only have them for a tiny amount of time?

Christians, are you being the witness God called you to be? Are you making it a priority to tell others that when the way seems dark and no one cares, that there's a Friend that sticks closer than a brother? If we were on trial, is there enough evidence of your Christianity to put you in jail? Or are you a closet Christian who has fire insurance?

Well, it doesn't have to be me. I can tell others about the love of Christ. And I'm going to do it more often and try to take things less for granted.

If you've never heard the good news of Jesus Christ, friend, there's only one way for you to go to Heaven and that's through Jesus Christ. Not works or good deeds. Only through Jesus. And praise God, it's simple enough that even a small child can get saved.

A. Admit that you're a sinner on your way to a devil's hell. Romans 3:23 says that All have sinned and come short of the glory of God. That means no one is good enough to go to Heaven. No one.

But God didn't stop there. Romans 6:23 says But the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life. Have you noticed that nothing is free? There's a price tag for everything. Even sin. And God says the wage, or payment, is death. But did you also notice that's not the end of the verse? He said that He's given you a gift - and that gift is eternal life through Jesus Christ. Why would God give us something so precious?

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

See how much He loves you? He gave His Son to you so you could go to Heaven one day.
Okay, so you know that part, now what?

B. Believe in your heart that you're a sinner and that Jesus Christ was crucified, buried, and rose again after three days. He is the only one who can take you to Heaven. John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh unto the Father but by me. This has to be a heart thing. You can know it in your head, but you must believe it in your heart.
Romans 5:8 - But God commendeth His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. This means that He demonstrated His love to us by giving His son as payment for OUR sin. The perfect and sinless dying for the guilty.

C. Confess with your mouth. Romans 10:9-10 - That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth and believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

God made salvation simple and free. So everyone can have it if they want it. It's so easy a child can do it. I did. I was 4 when I was saved. One day, maybe I'll tell you about it.

If you'd like to ask Jesus to save you, you can pray this prayer. If you do, please leave me a note. Let me know so I can pray for you.

Dear God, I know that I am separated from you because of sin. I confess that in my sin, I cannot save myself. Right now, I turn to you alone to be my Saviour. I ask you to save me from the penalty of my sin, and I trust you to provide eternal life to me.
—Amen


Tweet: #Suicide is a terrible teacher. Show compassion 2 others http://ctt.ec/AN5fH+




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey hey, what would you like to say?

 
The Honest Reviewer Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template