Monday, March 18, 2013

Business Card Bling Tutorial


One of the purposes of handing out business cards is you want to garner someone's interest. Their attention. Most business cards don't deliver on this. Mind you, I didn't say business cards weren't  needed or effective, just sometimes they lack something.

Like staying power.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and come out of the closet. I'm a business card addict. I have a box full of these critters.

The good. The bad. The downright ugly... I keep them. Why?

Because I can learn something from each of these cards. I guess talking to myself shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone as I'm a writer (yes, I have voices in my head and yes, I talk back to them...) so whenever someone hands me a business card, I ask my little voices questions like:

Do I like this card? Why/why not?
What about this card is unneeded?
Is it too busy? Is it professional?
How is the quality? <~ again, don't be surprised here. I'm a sensory person and if a card feels cheap, it's noted immediately and the person suddenly doesn't look professional. Very bad impression if you want to present yourself as a professional. If you need to watch your budget (like we all do) check out Vistaprint - they always have a sale going on.

One of my favorite business cards is from a woman I met two years ago at the Polly Crockett Festival in Cowan, TN. Her name? Jennifer Redstreake. (Check out her site on Etsy. She's a gifted artist!)

Jennifer Redstreake, artist
But, sadly, most of us aren't this talented when it comes to drawing. So we must get creative in other ways. Like, bling. There's all types of bling, but you want to make the purpose two-fold. Make your business card difficult for someone to throw away. Make your business card stand out from the crowd. Make them think they're getting something special. Because they are!

Being in a particularly creative mood one afternoon, I decided to repurpose some pages from one of my damaged books (see more ideas Here!) and I came up with these.

business card craft

What started out as a ...what in the world am I going to use these for...project, ended up being a hot item at my last book signing. In a four day event, I was wiped out of these on the first day. People were flocking to my table.


There are tons of different ways you can spice up your business card and make it memorable ~ your only limit is your imagination.

What are some of your ideas?

  Business Card Bling PDF Tutorial

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey hey, what would you like to say?

 
The Honest Reviewer Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template