Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Monster of Jealousy



I saw a question on one of the groups I belong to, and I wanted to post my thoughts about it here. It was in regards to jealousy. That green-eyed monster that attacks all of us--even if we don't admit it.

jealous green eye


When I first started my writing journey, I was green. A newbie. And, I noticed things about authors.
I noticed there are know-it-all authors you can't tell a thing to because they know it already. Everyone loves know-it-alls, right?!

There are short-term authors. Those are nice to you for a short time while you help them. And then they never return the favor.

There are Snob authors. Those that absolutely refuse to acknowledge you as a writer if you're just starting out. Or aren't just like them. Or...you get the idea. There are even a few that will read your book and happily slam it because you're not as good as they are. Trust me. That one hurts...!

Then, there are the Golden Authors. Those that want to help others. Those that want more Christian books out on the market.  Those that instead of looking for fame and fortune, are using opportunities to serve God, because they have a passion. They want to reach the lost for Christ. Some write devotionals that inspire people to live for and love God. Some write children's books because they want to reach the young at an early age. There are those reviewers who love a good book with a message, and they spread that word around. Some write fiction, because let's face it. Fiction books can oftentimes go where preachers and ministers aren't welcome and minister to those that would normally not listen.

So, let's answer the question I've been asked.
Aren't you jealous when another Christian writer obtains something you want?
My honest answer? (like I'd lie to you...!)
At the beginning of my journey? Yes.

As I traveled and have grown on this winding writer's road?
Not anymore. In fact, I'm thrilled for them. I root for them. I try to help them promote their books.

Because, frankly, I don't have time to write every Christian book out there and we're using our talents to serve our amazing God. When they have a victory and I've helped, I consider it my victory as well. And I'm glad to be a part of the team!

What about you? Have you ever been attacked by the green-eyed monster? How did you defeat it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey hey, what would you like to say?

 
The Honest Reviewer Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template