Monday, January 13, 2014

Numbered Days

As I sit here and enter our son's grades into the homeschooling umbrella school, it hit me all over again. 

My job as a homeschooling mother is almost over.


Property of Amanda Stephan - do not use


And even though we've had our days I'm seriously going to miss it. So bad that I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with my time once he graduates. I know, it's a few years away, but somehow, while I was doing the necessary accounting of my teaching actions, it hit me upside the head.

My days are numbered.

That shouldn't surprise me. The Bible says in 

Psalm 90:12 - So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. 

You know how it is. You do the same old thing every single day, even some Saturdays, and it becomes routine. Old hat. So when you sit down to start another new day of teaching, you fill the quiet, seat-work times with things you want to do. Like read. That's why I have a huge reading list. I realize it isn't as large as some, but I also didn't add some books that are sitting on my shelf that I'm already reading. 

And then, there's times where the crafty side of me kicks in and I have to craft or I'll go crazy. Like crochet a bedspread. A new hat, scarf, and gloves, or a skirt. And I keep adding things on my plate until I can't see over the top. Like learning how to make beautiful bead jewelry.

And I forget to number my days and to focus on what's really important.

My family.
My son's education. <~ I'm going to miss it so much when he's done. I really am. I'll struggle with the 'am I good for anything else' garbage, I'm sure, but right now, he's what I must focus first and foremost on. 

What about you? What does it take for you to realize that life is transient? You won't live forever. Is it a death in your family? Grade accounting? Another birthday? 

Only one life will soon be past, only what's done for Christ will last.

I pray we remember that and thank Him for another day.

Amanda Stephan~Christian Author
Twitter LinkedIn Blogger  Google Plus goodreads

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hey hey, what would you like to say?

 
The Honest Reviewer Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template